On this page…
Ensuring that provincial smoking (tobacco/cannabis/vaping) laws are followed is an important part of helping all of us lead healthier lives. Peterborough Public Health conducts ongoing inspections/complaint investigations to make sure the Smoke-Free Ontario Act (SFOA) is followed in enclosed workplaces/public places and smoke-free outdoor spaces. These activities are also conducted at places where tobacco/e-cigarettes are sold to keep them out of the hands of our youth. The enforcement of cannabis vendors is handled by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.
Our goal is to ensure vendors comply with the Smoke-Free Ontario Act through education, regular inspections, and other enforcement activities.
Our services are designed to seek compliance through education. This is done by working with tobacco and e-cigarette vendors and workplace managers and supervisors by providing information and support to help them fulfill their obligations under the Act.
The City of Peterborough, Selwyn Township and Cavan-Monaghan Township have municipal by-laws that further restrict smoking and only currently deal with the smoking of medical cannabis and tobacco products. It is anticipated that, in consultation with stakeholders, revisions will be necessary to regulate the smoking of recreational cannabis.
The SFOA prohibits smoking and vaping in the indoor common areas of condominiums, apartment buildings, and college and university residences. This includes elevators, stairwells, hallways, parking garages, laundry facilities, lobbies, exercise areas and party or entertainment rooms. Any individual who violates the prohibition on smoking and vaping in the indoor common areas of a condominium, apartment building or university or college residence may be charged and if convicted, may face a maximum fine of $1,000 (for a first offence) or $5,000 (for any further offence).
Owners, operators and persons responsible for multi-unit dwellings must ensure that smoking and vaping laws are followed by doing the following:
- Give notice to the residents and visitors that smoking and vaping is prohibited in the indoor common areas of the building.
- Post “No Smoking” and “No Vaping” signs, or a dual “No Smoking and No Vaping” sign at entrances, exits and washrooms of the indoor common areas, in appropriate locations and in sufficient numbers, to ensure that residents and visitors are aware that smoking and vaping is not allowed.
- Ensure that no ashtrays or similar items remain in the indoor common areas.
- Ensure that persons do not smoke or vape in the indoor common areas.
- Ensure that someone who refuses to comply with Ontario’s smoking and vaping laws does not remain in the indoor common area.
Peterborough Public Health Open Letter – Tenants
Peterborough Public Health Open Letter – Landlords/Proprietors
Ministry of Health Fact Sheet – Multi-Unit Residences
French versions available by contacting us.
Child Care Centres 2020
Enclosed Workplaces 2020
Flavoured Tobacco 2020
Home Health Care 2020
Motor Vehicles 2020
Restaurants and Bars 2020
Retailer Fact Sheet 2020
Sporting Areas 2020