Letter of Instruction Issued to Enhance Provincial Proof of Vaccination Requirements for Organized Sports
Written by Comms Team, September 17, 2021
Proof of Vaccination Requirements Come into Effect September 22, 2021
To provide further protection for the community and mitigate the fourth wave of COVID-19, Peterborough Public Health is issuing a letter of instruction that will be enforceable under the Reopening Ontario Act in an effort to enhance the provincial requirements for proof of vaccination. Currently, certain participants of organized sports, including volunteers, coaches and officials, have been exempted from showing proof of immunization. Peterborough Public Health will require all volunteers, coaches and officials 18 years of age and over who are participating or associated with the indoor organized sport to confirm proof of vaccination (or proof of being entitled to a medical exemption) and identification each time the individuals arrives at the facility.
“The requirements for proof of vaccination for high-risk indoor settings will ensure residents remain safe,” said Dr. Rosana Salvaterra, Medical Officer of Health. “The provincial requirements related to organized sports have exempt volunteers, coaches, and officials, putting vulnerable individuals at risk. Given that these individuals will have close and prolonged contact with unvaccinated youth players, I am requiring proof of vaccination for these individuals, in addition to the individuals prescribed by provincial legislation”
Proof of vaccination requirements will come into effect on September 22, 2021. Patrons will be required to show identification and proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before entering the following indoor establishments,
- Indoor areas of meeting and event spaces
- Indoor and outdoor areas of food and drink establishments with dance facilities, including nightclubs and restoclubs and other similar establishments
- Indoor areas of restaurants, bars, and other food and drink establishments without dance facilities
- Indoor areas of facilities used for sport and recreational fitness activities, including waterparks, and personal fitness training
- Indoor areas of casinos, bingo halls, and other gaming establishments
- Indoor areas of concert venues, theatres, and cinemas
- Indoor areas of bathhouses, sex clubs, and strip clubs
- Indoor areas of horse racing tracks, car racing tracks and other similar venues
- Indoor areas where film and TV production take place with studio audiences
Businesses and organizations who fall into these categories are required under O. Reg. 364/20 to obtain proof of vaccination and proof of identification from each patron before entering the premise. Other public health measures like masking and distancing will remain in place.
Patrons of these establishments may have a physical (paper) or electronic proof of vaccination in the form of a receipt, card, or certificate. Proof of vaccination can be obtained through the Ontario provincial portal or by calling the provincial call centre at 1-833-943-3900.
Additional information on the provincial proof of vaccination requirements and Peterborough Public Health letter of instruction can be found at www.peterboroughpublichealth.ca/proofofvaccine
For further information, please contact:
705-743-1000, ext. 391