Jump in COVID-19 Cases Indicates Spread of Omicron Variant
Written by Comms Team, December 18, 2021
All residents are urged to limit close contacts
As of 5:00 p.m. today, Peterborough Public Health observed 33 new COVID-19 cases. This brings the active case count to 78 residents. Residents are urged to reconsider social gatherings at this time to protect themselves and limit the spread of COVID-19.
“This abrupt rise in cases is a clear indication that the omicron variant is circulating in our community,” said Dr. Thomas Piggott, Medical Officer of Health. “I am strongly recommending that residents reduce their close contacts and reconsider holiday plans to keep themselves safe and reduce the high transmission we are seeing.”
Dr. Piggott added, “Even with the new provincial capacity limits, we anticipate there will be a significant increase in cases in the coming days.” Residents are reminded to follow public health guidance this holiday season for the best prevention against the transmission of COVID-19. “Staying safe against a COVID-19 infection does include layering up.” Said Dr. Thomas Piggott. “We layer up to go outdoors in the winter to protect us from the cold and we need to layer up our prevention to protect us from COVID-19.” Dr. Piggott recommends 5 tips for the prevention of COVID-19 transmission this holiday season:
- Guidance: Check local and provincial public health guidance before going to any gathering.
- Vaccine: Get the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as it is available to you. Three doses ensure the best protection. Reduce your risk by only gathering with others outside your household if they are also vaccinated.
- Test: Stay home if you are feeling unwell and seek a COVID-19 PCR test to confirm a COVID-19 infection. If you have access to rapid antigen testing, use it to ensure you are negative before attending any gathering and consider reporting the result whether positive or negative to Peterborough Public Health.
- Outdoors: Gather outdoors if possible. If not, remember to open windows to allow for proper air flow in small spaces.
- Mask & ventilation: if you gather with people from outside your household ensure the room is well ventilated by opening windows or doors (even a crack), and wear a tightly-fitted medical mask or N95 respirator mask.
Additional information about the prevention of COVID-19 transmission can be found on the Peterborough Public Health website.
For further information, please contact:
705-743-1000, ext. 352