Join the Fun on the Longest Day of Play on June 21!
Written by admin, June 17, 2015
June 17, 2015 – On the longest day of the year, Sunday June 21, all residents are being encouraged to take advantage of the extra daylight hours, turn off the TV, and get out and play in the park, schoolyard, or your local recreation centre.
ParticipACTION is launching Canada’s Longest Day of Play on Sunday, June 21st and wants you to get out, let loose, get active and PLAY!
“We know that children and adults aren’t getting enough daily physical activity,” says Claire Townshend, Health Promoter at Peterborough Public Health, “so making an effort to get out and be active can make a big difference in your health and wellbeing.”
We all deserve to play more. It’s easy to do, doesn’t cost money and gets our bodies moving while making us happy. And that’s worth celebrating. Looking for ways to get out and get active? Come and enjoy a free family fun event from 1:00-3:00pm at Confederation Park, Peterborough (across from City Hall). This is event is hosted in partnership with the City of Peterborough, the Council for Persons with Disabilities, and Peterborough Public Health. There will be bocce ball, parachute games, ladder ball, snacks and much more!
Other ideas to get outside during the longest day of the year:
- Head to the park or playground– pack a picnic to take with you – and take advantage of the extra daylight hours.
- Visit a nearby splash pad
- Get together with neighbours for a game of all-ages ball hockey, an evening of old-fashioned races (egg-on-spoon; three-legged; and sack races); or a game of soccer.
- Take a hike on the trails
- Head to the local tennis court, go roller skating, try lawn bowling
- Tour the community…on bikes!
For more information about ParticipACTION Canada, visit www.participaction.com.
For further information, please contact:
705-743-1000, ext. 355