Public Health Launches New Website
Written by admin, July 26, 2012
July 26, 2012 – Credible, Easy-to-Find Public Health Information Now at Community’s Fingertips
Today Peterborough Public Health launched its new website – www.peterboroughpublichealth.ca – to make it easier for residents to find the credible public health information they need to stay healthy and prevent illness and disease.
“Visitors to our new website will notice a much improved experience with a new design that is easier to follow by audience type and more robust search functionality,” said Brittany Cadence, Communications Supervisor. “The new website is also completely integrated with social media tools because we know many of our residents value accessing and sharing reliable health information this way.”
Ms. Cadence explained that evaluations of its previous website showed that 25% of visitors were not finding the health information they were looking for. The new website was designed according to best practices in public health communications and refined following months of audience feedback.
“We especially wanted to improve our website so it’s ready when the next serious public health situation hits,” said Ms. Cadence. “Depending on the circumstances, such as a pandemic or environmental disaster, it’s vital to get information out to the public lightning-fast. We wanted to make sure our website and social media channels were in place to keep the public well-informed and safe.” She noted that websites are especially valuable when a large scale public health crisis emerges because local situations can differ greatly from what’s happening in other major centres, so it’s key that residents know where to find accurate and credible information quickly.
Features of the new website:
- Health topics organized by stage of life: Adults, Youth, Parents & Caregivers, and Older Adults
- A-Z health topic index
- Fully integrated with Twitter, Facebook and YouTube
- Health alerts featured in red on homepage when activated
- Greater use of multimedia information and interactive features, such as videos, downloads, and online educational resources
- Dedicated “For Professionals” section with targeted information specific to healthcare providers, teachers and other business operators.
- More local imagery used throughout website featuring local people and places of Peterborough City and County
For further information, please contact:
(705) 743-1000, ext. 391