Health Canada Announces Recall of Freya-28 Birth Control Pill
Written by admin, August 28, 2013
August 28, 2013 – Public Health Advises Women to Check Pills to Ensure Effectiveness
Health Canada is alerting Canadians that Freya-28, an oral contraceptive (birth control product), is being voluntarily recalled from the Canadian market by Mylan Pharmaceuticals after a pharmacy reported that a placebo pill was found in place of an active pill in one package. Packages of Freya-28 should have three rows of active (white) pills and one row of placebo (green) pills.
Missing one or more active (white) pills could result in reduced effectiveness for contraception, with the possibility of an unplanned pregnancy. As of August 27, 2013, there had been no adverse reactions reported to Mylan Pharmaceuticals.
The affected products are Freya-28 (Lots: 3739F001B & 3739F002B).
The Peterborough Public Health is advising local women who use birth control pills to verify if they are affected by this recall. It is also recommending that women:
- Consult their healthcare provider with any questions or concerns regarding the use of oral contraceptives, especially Freya-28.
- Use a non-hormonal method of birth control (such as condoms, spermicidal foam or gel) while continuing to take Freya-28 pills until they see their healthcare provider and obtain another oral contraceptive.
- Return unopened packages to their pharmacist.
- Report any adverse reactions potentially related to Freya-28 to Health Canada.
- Contact Health Canada’s toll-free line at 1-800-267-9675 with questions or complaints about this product
The Public Health is also advising local pharmacies and healthcare providers about this recall.
Residents who do not have a healthcare provider and have questions or concerns about this recall or other sexual health matters can contact the Sexual Health Clinic at 705-748-2021. Further information about sexual health is also available at www.peterboroughpublichealth.ca under “My Life & Health”.
More details about the recall are also available on the Health Canada website at http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2013/35315a-eng.php.
For further information, please contact:
(705) 743-1000, ext. 391