Garage Sales Strongly Discouraged in Peterborough City and County
Written by Communications, May 12, 2020
Safety Tips Provided for Online Sales of Second-hand Items
Peterborough Public Health is advising residents that garage and/or yard sales should not be held within its jurisdiction until further notice. This is in accordance with the extended emergency order issued by the Government of Ontario which prohibits public and social gatherings of more than five people. These types of sales tend to attract large groups of people and enthusiasts tend to visit several sales in a short period of time, increasing the risk of spreading COVID-19.
Peterborough Public Health recommends that if residents want to sell private property and second-hand items using online platforms, social media, etc., that they use contactless pick-up and drop-offs and use contactless payments like e-transfers rather than cash or cheques. If contactless pick-up and drop-off of items is not possible then residents should:
- Limit the number of people involved – only send one person to pick up the item if possible.
- Wear a face covering.
- Wash your hands before and after the transaction.
- Maintain a 2-metre distance between yourself and others.
- Do not meet if anyone in either household is feeling unwell.
- Do not have visitors in your home.
As Ontario begins to relax emergency measures and more businesses start to open, strict public health measures are enforced and mandatory. Garage and yard sales do not allow for public health measures needed to prevent the spread of COVID-19 including physical distancing and hand hygiene and therefore, must be avoided. Complaints related to social gatherings should be directed to the local non-emergency Peterborough Police Service or the Ontario Provincial Police:
- Peterborough Police Service non-emergency line: 705-876-1122
- Ontario Provincial Police non-emergency line: 1-888-310-1122
For more information about COVID-19, please visit www.peterboroughpublichealth.ca.
For further information, please contact:
705-743-1000, ext. 391