Residents of our communities use needles for a variety of purposes. If you find a needle that has not been properly disposed of, here are some resources to help you.
Please do not place needles in recycling bins or garbage cans.
Needles Found on Public Property
City of Peterborough Property
- Contact the Public Works Department at 705-745-1386, or if urgent call Peterborough Police at 705-876-1122, ext. 225
Public Property in Lakefield or Cavan-Monaghan
- Contact Peterborough Police at 705-876-1122, ext. 225
Public Property in the County of Peterborough (outside of Cavan-Monaghan and Lakefield)
- Contact OPP at 1-888-310-1122
Needles Found on Private Property
Property owners are responsible for any used needles found on private property. Please see the following resources on handling found needles safely.
- Found Needles Poster
- Found Needles – Talking to Kids
- List and Map of Public Needle Disposal Bins
- Video – Disposing of Found Needles
Where to Obtain Biohazard Disposal Bins
If you are finding discarded needles more than occasionally, consider picking up a biohazard container.
You can pick up a yellow needle disposal bin for free at your local pharmacy.
You can pick up needle disposal bins, tongs, and gloves free of charge at one of PARN’s sites. They can also provide brief education on safe disposal.
- Permanent Needle Disposal Kiosks
If you would like to purchase a permanent needle disposal kiosk for private property, ECS Cares is one option.