Information for the Public:
Mandatory Face Coverings
Lasted Edited/Reviewed: 10:18 a.m., September 18, 2020
The directive released by Peterborough Public Health on July 20, 2020 includes requirements for mandatory face coverings comes into effect August 1, 2020 at 12:01 a.m. The directive provides instructions to owners and operators of commercial establishments, public transit, and commercial transportation. Subject to the exemptions in the directive, owners and operators will be required to have a policy, post signage, and provide hand sanitizer to assist members of the public to safely wear face coverings in certain public places.
Members of the public will be required to wear a face covering when entering or remaining in the indoor public space of a commercial establishment, public transit vehicle, or commercial transportation vehicle.
Exemptions for Face Coverings
While many people can safely tolerate and wear face coverings, many people cannot. It is important to remember that you cannot tell by looking at an individual whether or not they have a condition that may restrict them from wearing a face covering.
A person will be exempt from wearing a face covering if:
- The person is a child under the age of two years; or is a child under the age of five years either chronologically or developmentally and he or she refuses to wear a face covering and cannot be persuaded to do so by their caregiver;
- The person is incapacitated and unable to remove their face covering without assistance;
- Wearing a face covering would inhibit the person’s ability to breathe such as, but not limited to, during athletic, fitness or physical activity or any activity that would preclude its use (such as swimming);
- For any other medical reason, the person cannot safely wear a face covering such as, but not limited to, respiratory disease, cognitive difficulties or difficulties in hearing or processing information.
- For any religious reason, the person cannot wear a face covering.
Infographic: Face Coverings – What You Need to Know
Report Mandatory Mask Issues
Thank you for agreeing to participate. It will only take a few minutes to complete the form. All of your answers are private and confidential. Please note that all submissions will be reviewed and investigated.