Information for Owner/Operators/Employers:
Mandatory Face Coverings
Lasted Edited/Reviewed: 11:36 a.m., December 21, 2020
On Friday, Oct. 2, the Ontario government announced a new provincial mandate for the use of face coverings in the indoor areas of all businesses/organizations. This means that staff and members of the public are required to wear a face covering when entering or remaining in the indoor public space of any workplace, business, transit vehicle, or commercial vehicle, with limited exemptions.
A face covering that contains the proper material and has a good fit can prevent your respiratory droplets from infecting someone else and may also protect you from others. A face covering must securely cover the nose, mouth and chin, and be in contact with the surrounding face without gapping. The Public Health Agency of Canada now recommends that Canadians use face coverings made of at least three-layers with one of the layers being a filter to add an extra layer of protection against COVID-19.
The requirements to wear a face covering in any indoor premise changes to a requirement to wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) for any person who is delivering a service (i.e., coach, trainer, server at a restaurant, hair dresser, etc.) and is required to come within 2 metres of a person who is not wearing a mask or face covering or separated by an impermeable barrier. There are no exemptions for this requirement. See O. Reg. 364/20 Schedule 1 Section 4 (7) for more details.
Please use the resources below and the information in the Frequently Asked Questions to ensure your business/workplace is compliant with the mandatory requirements. Full details can be found in O. Reg. 364/20: Rules for Areas in Stage 3.
- Frequently Asked Questions for Owners/Operators/Employers (Peterborough Public Health)
- Q&A: COVID-19 and Non-Medical Masks (Public Health Ontario)
- Reopening Safely: Workplace Toolkit
- Face Coverings – What You Need to Know
- Information for Multi-Unit Dwellings
- Information for Places of Worship
Employee Training Material
- Video: Three Layer Fabric Mask (World Health Organization)
- Video: How to wear a fabric 3 layer mask (World Health Organization)
- STOP! Before Entering Poster (Face Coverings Required)
- STOP! Common Areas (Face Coverings Required)
- STOP! Places of Worship (Face Coverings Required)
- General Signage (screening, hand sanitizing, physical distancing, etc.)
- Safely Wear/Clean a Face Covering
Need more assistance?
Do you have a question about face coverings that wasn’t answered on this webpage or in the FAQs for Owners/Operators? Use the form below to submit your question. We will respond as soon as possible and the questions received will be added to the FAQs document. You can also contact Peterborough Public Health at 705-743-1000 weekdays, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.