Information for Owner/Operators/Employers:
Mandatory Face Coverings
Lasted Edited/Reviewed: 2:24 p.m., January 28, 2021
Any person who enters an indoor area of a business or organization, or a vehicle operating as part of a business or organization, in the province of Ontario is required by Orders currently in force under the Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act to wear a face covering/mask with limited exemptions. This requirement applies to both members of the public and employees. All persons must wear a face covering when entering or remaining in the indoor public space of any establishment, transit vehicle, or commercial vehicle.
In addition to the requirements for employees under the Reopening Ontario Act, there are also requirements for employees and employers under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA). Employers must take every reasonable precaution to protect the health and safety of workers. This includes protecting workers from hazards posed by infectious diseases. This means your staff must wear a face covering in any area accessible by the public, or in any area reserved for employees only where physical distancing of 2 metres cannot be maintained at all times.
For any staff member that may come within 2 metres of another person who is not wearing a mask (either general public or another staff member), and is not separated by an impermeable barrier, the requirement to wear a face covering changes to a requirement to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). There are no exemptions for this requirement. For more information check out applicable Orders currently in force under the Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act.
Please use the resources below and the information in the Frequently Asked Questions to ensure your business/workplace is compliant with the mandatory requirements.
- Frequently Asked Questions for Owners/Operators/Employers (Peterborough Public Health)
- Q&A: COVID-19 and Non-Medical Masks (Public Health Ontario)
- Reopening Safely: Workplace Toolkit
- Face Coverings – What You Need to Know
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
Employee Training Material
- Video: Three Layer Fabric Mask (World Health Organization)
- Video: How to wear a fabric 3 layer mask (World Health Organization)
- STOP! Before Entering Poster (Face Coverings Required)
- STOP! Common Areas (Face Coverings Required)
- STOP! Places of Worship (Face Coverings Required)
- General Signage (screening, hand sanitizing, physical distancing, etc.)
- Safely Wear/Clean a Face Covering
Need more assistance?
Do you have a question about face coverings that wasn’t answered on this webpage or in the FAQs for Owners/Operators? Use the form below to submit your question. We will respond as soon as possible and the questions received will be added to the FAQs document. You can also contact Peterborough Public Health at 705-743-1000 weekdays, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.