COVID-19: Vaccine for Children and Youth (6 months – 11 years)
Last review/reviewed: January 13, 2023
PPH recommends that residents 6 months to 11 years of age stay up to date with their COVID-19 vaccination. To Learn more, view the COVID-19 vaccine eligibility webpage.
Joint Statement from Pediatric Experts: COVID-19 Vaccination in Children 6 Months to 5 Years of Age in Ontario
On this page…
It is important as a parent or guardian to inform yourself and your child before making the personal decision to get the COVID-19 vaccine.
Resources about the COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 6 months to under 5 years:
- Learn more about the vaccine through SickKids
- Information on after-care from the COVID-19 vaccine
- Why children should be vaccinated against COVID-19
- FAQ on the timing of COVID-19 vaccines
- Frequently Asked Questions – 6 months to under 5 years – Peterborough Public Health
Resources about the COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 5-11:
- Use this resource as a guide to understand more about the paediatric COVID-19 vaccine.
- Check out the Ontario Fact Sheet for the COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 5-11.
- Additional information about 5-11 vaccine – Ministry of Health
- Vaccine Facts – Parent Homework
- Frequently Asked Questions – Ages 5-11 – Peterborough Public Health
Dr. Piggott, Medical Officer of Health hosted information sessions for parents or guardians of children ages 6 months to under 5 years and children ages 5 to 11. Watch the recordings to learn more about the paediatric COVID-19 vaccines.
Many people, children and adults, are hesitant about needles. Communicating with your child about the vaccine and discussing techniques for reducing anxiety can ensure a smooth vaccine appointment. Check out some tips to help talk to your child about the COVID-19 vaccine.
Helping you child create a plan for attending the vaccine clinic will set expectations and allow them to feel more comfortable when attending their appointment. Use the “My comfort care plan” resource to create a vaccine appointment plan with your child. This plan can help your vaccinator get to know your child’s interests and things that could help them relax at their vaccine appointment.
Parents or legal guardians will be able to verbally consent to the 5-11 COVID-19 vaccine consent form for their child. Please take a moment to review the consent form before booking a vaccine appointment. Consult a health care professional if you have any questions about your child’s health and the COVID-19 vaccine.
Free consultation services with healthcare providers are available to assist parents, guardians, and children with any questions they may have about the COVID-19 vaccine. Learn more and book an appointment with a physician or paediatric nurse today!
All residents 6 months to 11 years of age are eligible for a primary series. Residents 5 years and older are eligible for a booster dose. Use this resource to check eligibility, find a clinic, and book an appointment.