Schools & Child Care:
Information for Families
Last Reviewed/Updated: May 12, 2022, 12:05 p.m.
Current COVD-19 measures in place for in-person learning can be found HERE.
Peterborough Public Health works closely with school boards, schools and child care operators to promote a safe and healthy environment and to protect the broader community. The information on this page is to support families in preventing the spread of COVID-19.
- Ontario COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening Tool
- Peterborough Public Health Resources
- COVID-19 Vaccines
- School and Child Care Health and Safety Measures
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Resources for Children
- Resources for Parents/Guardians
The COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening tool is a decision guide to determine if a child can attend school/child care. Complete the screen daily, before going to school/child care for each child. If you do not pass the screening, read the webpage with your result thoroughly, as it will give you detailed instructions on what to do next including how long you may need to isolate for. Anyone who is sick or has any symptoms of illness, including those not listed in this screening tool, should stay home and seek assessment from their health care provider if needed.
Visit www.ontario.ca/exposed if you have been told you’re a close contact to someone with symptoms of COVID-19.
Have questions about Rapid Antigen Testing or PCR testing? See our Covid-19 – Testing webpage
PPH has developed these resources to assist you:
- Parent Resource – Child with Symptoms, May 12, 2022
- Ressource aux parents _Enfants_Symptômes du COVID-19, May 12, 2022
Vaccines are safe, effective and the best way to stay protected from COVID-19. They are an important tool to help to stop the spread of the virus and allow students and families to safely resume normal activities. For more information see:
- Peterborough Public Health Vaccine Info and Clinic Info
- COVID-19 vaccines for children and youth (Ontario.ca) – Ontario.ca
- COVID-19 Vaccine FAQs for Parents and Guardians – Ministry of Health
- COVID-19 Vaccine Information Sheet: For Youth (age 12-17) – Ministry of Health
- COVID-19 Vaccine Information Sheet: For Children (age 5-11) – Ministry of Health
- Pain Management During Immunizations for Kids and Adolescents – Immunize.ca
- To provide a better understanding of a person’s risk for getting myocarditis or pericarditis post vaccine, watch Dr. Salvaterra explain it in this video: What is myocarditis?
- Do you have questions about your child getting the COVID-19 vaccine? SickKids has launched a COVID-19 Vaccine Consult Service to help answer those questions. Make an appointment to speak to a SickKids clinician through a confidential phone consult: sickkids.ca/vaccineconsult
Other routine vaccinations are also recommended in childhood. Please see PPH’s Immunization webpage for details.
Please see the Ministry website COVID-19: health and safety measures at schools for the most up to date information about health and safety measures in schools.
Check out these kid-friendly resources to help prepare for back to school:
- COVID-19- What Kids Need to Know – Government of Canada
- COVID-19 Resources for Youth and Students, Government of Canada
- Be a Masked Hero – Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Centre
- Handwashing for Kids PPH Poster
- Hand Sanitizing for Kids PPH Poster
Canadian Paediatric Society (CPS)
- How can we talk to kids about COVID-19?
- COVID youth and substance use critical messages for youth and families
Caring for Kids
Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO)
Government of Canada
Government of Ontario
- COVID-19: Keeping schools safe
- COVID-19 Information Resources for Parent & Guardians and Youth
- COVID-19 Fact Sheet: Talking to Children About the Pandemic
Peterborough Public Health
- COVID-19 Positive Parenting Resources
- Peterborough Public Health Vaccine Info
- KFL&A Video: What’s the difference between people gathering and students in a classroom?
Public Health Ontario
School Mental Health Ontario
The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids)
- Video for kids about physical distancing
- CEO and Dr. Cheddar answer COVID-19 questions from kids
- AboutKidsHealth: COVID-19
- Parenthomework.ca , published by a collaboration of children’s health organizations, including CHEO and SickKids