Educators and Schools
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Last updated: 1:07 PM March 23, 2020
For elementary / secondary schools and childcare programs
For post-secondary and boarding schools
Advice for students, faculty, or staff on self-isolation:
- All returning travelers should self-isolate at home for at least 14 days after return home, even if symptom free.
- If symptoms (fever and/or cough) develop during this time, please contact Peterborough Public Health 705-743-1000 for further direction and guidance.
- Students, faculty, or staff who have been in close contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 by laboratory testing should self-isolate in their home or in their dorm/room alone for 14 days after their last encounter. Individuals should monitor themselves daily. If symptoms (fever and/or cough) develop during this time, please contact Peterborough Public Health 705-743-1000 for further direction and guidance.
Advice for self-isolation
In addition to the self-isolation guidance from Public Health Ontario (see English and French fact sheets), students, faculty, or staff who are recommended to self-isolate under the guidance above should:
- Stay in a well-ventilated room, including an open window, if possible. Do not have other people come in the room.
- keep a two-meter distance between yourself and others Practice good respiratory etiquette and hand hygiene as described above.
- have supplies dropped off outside your door to help avoid direct contact, and limit the number of people helping to take care of you.
- Regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces. Regular household cleaning product are effective against most viruses, and you can also use 1 part bleach to 9 parts water as an effective disinfectant.
- Use dedicated linen and utensils, which can be washed with soap and water and re-used, and do not need to be disposed of.
- Dispose of any tissues, wipes, masks, or gloves in a waste container lined with a plastic bag before disposing with other household waste.
- Wash your clothes in hot water (between 60-90 °C), and then thoroughly dry them