Give Yourself a Boost!
Keeping your immunizations up to date is key to staying healthy and preventing the spread of disease. Vaccines are a safe and effective way to protect yourself and others who are vulnerable to getting sick, especially babies and the elderly. Some vaccines given in childhood require booster shots later on, while others like the flu shot are given annually.
Planning a trip?
While visiting other countries, you may be exposed to vaccine preventable diseases. Get protected by visiting our travel clinic at least three months before you leave to find out what immunizations you need.
Vaccines are important for adults too! Vaccines are safe and effective against several illnesses.
There are many reasons why vaccines are recommended for adults:
- The protection we have from previous vaccinations can decrease for some diseases as we get older. Getting another dose (a booster) of the vaccine can strengthen your immune system and increase your protection against these diseases.
- There are illnesses that are more common in older adults for which vaccines are available.
- Some adults may have missed one or more vaccinations as a child and they need to get caught up.
- Adults may want to prevent the spread of disease to those who cannot be immunized. This may include babies, young children or grandchildren, pregnant women or people with medical conditions who have weaker immune systems.
- A list of vaccines that are recommended for adults is available at https://www.ontario.ca/page/vaccines-adults .
- Vaccines in Ontario’s publicly funded immunization schedule are provided free of charge if you meet the eligibility criteria.
For more information you can talk to a health care provider or call the health unit and speak with a vaccine preventable disease nurse.
Last modified on Jun 21, 2016