History of Peterborough Public Health
There are records of the Board of Health meetings taking place in the City of Peterborough dating back to 1891.
The City of Peterborough Department of Health was established on July 1, 1934. The first full-time Medical Officer of Health was Dr. G. Murray Fraser whose duties commenced on August 1, 1934. The original staff consisted of three persons – The Medical Officer of Health, a Sanitary Inspector, and a Secretary. On September 10, 1934 the tiny department took over offices in the Simcoe Street City Hall.
The first Public Health Nurse for the City of Peterborough, Department of Health, was appointed in 1937.
In June, 1950 the Department of Health moved from 137 Simcoe Street into new quarters in a house located on the south west corner of Water and McDonnel Streets. The “Turner House” was bought by City Council for a Health office due to the crowded conditions of the Department of Health on Simcoe Street. This house was later demolished when the present day City Hall was built. In October, 1951 the Department of Health moved into the present day City Hall.
A By-law to provide for the appointment of a Board of Health for the Town of Peterborough was passed by Peterborough Town Council on Monday, February 18, 1889.
The formation of a Public Health comprised of the City and County of Peterborough had been discussed many times before the subject was raised at the November, 1964 meeting of County Council. When the resolution to form a Public Health between the County and City was presented to County Council it was favored by a vote of 16 to 8.
Following this meeting, the Peterborough Board of Health, at its meeting of December 14, 1964 recommended that the City Council enter into an agreement with the County Council to form a Public Health. The matter was discussed by City Council’s finance committee on the same day and the committee recommended to City Council the formation of a Public Health with the County. City Council accepted the committee’s recommendation at its meeting of December 21, 1964.
On January 22, 1965, an agreement was signed between the County of Peterborough and the City of Peterborough to establish Peterborough Public Health. The Public Health would be under the management of the Board of Health, and would be composed of seven members as follows: 1 member appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council; 3 members from the City of Peterborough; and, 3 members from the County of Peterborough.
On June 1, 1965, Public Health commenced operations from a location on Lansdowne Street East, in the upper portion of the building owned and occupied by Peterborough Card and Paper Works Ltd. This arrangement was considered a temporary one and suitable for the fifteen full-time and few part-time employees.
Over the next ten years the Board of Health made a variety of plans to move Public Health, but none were finalized until 1975. Archival documents provide rich insight into this process.
The generous financial aid of the Province of Ontario, through the Ministry of Health, encouraged local municipal action; two thirds of the total cost of this new building, including basic furniture and equipment, was provided by Provincial funds, the remaining third being provided on a per capita basis by the City and the County.
On December 2, 1975, brief informal ceremonies consisting of the signing of documents and sod turning to initiate construction, were carried out. The building was completed and Public Health moved in on November 22, 1976.
On June 16, 1977, Public Health building was officially opened by Dr. D.G. Martin, Chief Medical Officer of Health for Ontario.
On December 1, 1979, Dr. J.K. Edwards, Medical Officer of Health and his wife Peggy, were tragically killed in a car accident. On June 20, 1980, Public Health building was officially named the Dr. J.K. Edwards Building.
From May 1, 1991 to April 30, 2002, the Time Square space was used primarily for clinical services such as Sexual Health and Genetics.
During 1998, membership on the Board of Health for Peterborough Public Health was expanded from seven to eight members including a representative of Curve Lake First Nation.
On January 8, 2001 the Board of Health partnered with the Township of Havelock Belmont Methuen to provide Nurse Practitioner services to the community. The Board of Health administered this initiative, the first of its kind in Ontario until December 31, 2002.
During June 2002 the Paediatrics clinic opened to assist families without Doctors in the community until December 2005.
On June 9, 2005 the Board of Health had a grand opening for the Nurse Practitioner Clinic on Aylmer Street to alleviate some of the Doctor shortage until closing it December 2005 due to lack of funding.
On July 8, 2003 the Board of Health partnered with Otonabee-South Monaghan Township to establish Nurse Practitioner Services in the Keene Health Centre until December 2005 when services were transferred to the Victoria Order of Nurses.
During 2006, membership on the Board of Health for Peterborough Public Health was expanded from eight to nine members including another member from the Province of Ontario.
During 2007, membership on the Board of Health for Peterborough Public Health was again expanded from nine to ten members including another member from the Province of Ontario, bringing the total number of appointed Provincial representatives to three (3).
On May 3, 2007 the Board of Health made available to Hiawatha First Nation the programs and services offered by Peterborough Public Health.
On May 19, 2009, membership on the Board of Health for Peterborough Public Health was expanded from ten to eleven members including a representative of Hiawatha First Nation.
In January, 2010, Peterborough Public Health became a registered charitable organization.
In 2013, membership on the Board of Health for Peterborough Public Health was again expanded from eleven to twelve members including another member from the Province of Ontario, bringing the total number of appointed Provincial representatives to four (4).
Around this time, the Board of Health explored options for alternate locations to house staff and programs given the organization had outgrown its offices at 10 Hospital Drive.
On September 25, 2015, Peterborough Public Health officially announced plans to bring public health services and programs downtown when it moved into the first three floors of Jackson Square at 185 King Street on November 23, 2015. The Community Dental Health Centre remained located nearby at Peterborough Square on George Street.
A closing ceremony for 10 Hospital Drive was held on November 11, 2015, and the offices were officially closed on November 20, 2015.
After an extensive rebranding and consultation process, on February 10, 2016, the Board officially supported the new name and logo for ‘Peterborough Public Health’ (formerly Peterborough County-City Health Unit) and moved to change the organization’s operational name effective June 1, 2016.
The official open house and opening ceremonies for Peterborough Public Health at Jackson Square were held on June 10, 2016.
Last modified on Nov 08, 2016